- This event has passed.
Hedges & Woodland – ‘Steepers’ session
3 January, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm GMT
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 10:00am on Sunday, repeating until 28 March, 2021
The ‘Steeper’s are a lively group of SSB volunteers who are in their ninth year of hedge laying and collecting wood for fuel. The group will be undertaking various activities in the village including coppicing, hedging and clearing. This will encourage natural regeneration of trees, and wildflowers, with benefits for insects, small mammals, and birds. e have updated Risk Assessments to take both Ash Dieback (Hymenoscyphus) and Covid19 into account. Ash dieback is progressively killing many of the ash trees, and as the infection (and subsequent fungal infection) weakens the limbs and tree-trunks, there is a safety issue. Wood made brittle by infection, can lead of unpredictably falling branches, and reduced confidence in controlling the direction of fall of each tree.
Steeping dates/venues (from 10am to 3pm) for Spring 2021 are:
- Sunday 3 January 2021 Hedging in Brookwood Close
- Sunday 17 January 2021 Hedging in Springfield Terrace
- Sunday 31 January 2021 Hedging in Springfield Terrace
- Sunday 14 February 2021 Coppicing in Penstave Copse
- Sunday 28 February 2021 Coppicing in Penstave Copse
- Sunday 14 March 2021 Hedging in Harwell Lane
- Sunday 28 March 2021 Clearing in Railway Wood