From Sunday 23 May, having placed collection of compost on hold for a few weeks, compost will be available for collection again. However, we still need MORE green garden waste…
THE MARSH COMMUNITY COMPOSTING SITE IS NOW FULLY OPEN ON SUNDAYS BOTH FOR GREEN WASTE AND COLLECTING COMPOST
Following the lockdown, the Marsh reopened for green waste only on 7 March and then opened fully both to leave garden waste, and to buy compost from 14 March.
We have been overwhelmed with requests for compost since we re-opened in March. This is the busiest period of the year and more compost than usual has been collected. From Sunday 23 May, having placed collection of compost on hold for a few weeks, compost will be available for collection again. However, we still need MORE green garden waste e.g. grass cuttings, dead flowers etc., and LESS wood!. We need much more green waste – usually grass clippings or anything with rather less wood than we are usually receiving. The shredding process doesn’t reduce all of the wood and we end up sieving out a veritable mountain of wood (and stones)!
Currently we ask that no more than two cars are on the Marsh site at any one time to help maintain social distancing (plus maximum of two allowed to stack in the entrance layby). This also means that there is rather less help available from the volunteers with unloading garden waste or carrying the bags of compost to the cars. When you collect compost, please place donations in a box – no change can be offered. We look forward to the time when we have a steady supply of compost and are able to assist more freely visitors to the site.
NB. “One of the greatest problems we are having is keeping up with the amount of compost which people are requesting. The price per bag remains at £1 for a 10kg bag of compost. We will remain open for receiving garden waste even if we are unable to supply more compost. Gardeners are encouraged to bring more green waste where possible. Grass cuttings are especially helpful in creating the compost.”
The Marsh is open on Sundays from 10am-1pm:
- The Marsh is open for garden waste deliveries as long as sufficient volunteers are available
- Compost may be purchased if it is available. Please continue to have the correct money ready (£1 per bag) to put into a cash box as volunteers will not handle any cash or give change. We will ask you for your name and post code as usual
- The number of vehicles on site will be controlled by the volunteers.
- No parking on the main road will be permitted while waiting for entry into the site
- Visitors may be guided to a place to wait before entering the Marsh
- Social distancing must be observed on the site therefore minimal help can be offered for unloading garden waste or loading compost.
The site, at the old Highways depot on Exeter Road (otherwise known as the Marsh), will accept bulky garden waste and produce compost for local collection and use.
- Soft Green waste material you can cut with mower or clippers
- Twiggy brushwood material that can be cut with loppers, saw or power tools
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Stumps, vines, bamboo, Japanese knotweed, Himalayan balsam
- Other organic matter such as food waste, e.g. unwanted fruit and vegetables
Sunday mornings from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.